MOVIE DUNIYA

Aug 23, 2008

Deepika Padukone Interview


Deepika Padukone on the Olympics & more

She’s the ‘D’ girl of tinsel town. The newlycrowned ‘Dream Girl’. With the best banners and the best men in the business (read: Khans, Kumar and Kapoors) vouching for her, a hottie like RK for a boyfriend, and admirers galore —
Deepika Padukone wins the coveted title hands down. In an exclusive interview in New York, where she was the ‘Grand Marshall’ at the Independence Day Parade, Deepika spoke about her unrevealed emotions of love, envy and pride! And the ‘O’ dream.

You are a badminton champ. Ever thought of doing your country proud at the Olympics?

I doubt people are aware, but I quit playing national level badminton in 2002. If I had continued till 2008, I could be representing India at the Olympics right now. Life had other plans for me, and I had other plans for myself.

So now you’d choose the Oscars over the Olympics?

To me they are the same. I always wanted to be part of the entertainment industry, and I have just started out. Olympics are passé for now. And the Oscars are far-fetched. Though I want to contribute to Indian sports in every way I can.

After a debut with SRK, it only has to get bigger. Too much of pressure?

In terms of a film, that was a huge start, but as far as performance, I’ve to better myself. I don’t think even Mr Bachchan will sit up and say ‘I know everything’. And after a solo hit, a lot of people wondered why I did a two-heroine project. People are saying that I am brilliant in my second film, and that’s all I want to hear. So what if I find a good role in a multi-starrer, with some other girls?

You are romancing actors from 20 to 40 somethings. What’s next, 60 plus?

Let’s hope. I am working with Akshay Kumar, I don’t know what his age is and I don’t want to know it, but I think he is extremely good-looking and he’s ageing gracefully. He is one of the most energetic actors we have. I am also working with Saif for Imtiaz Ali’s film. He is like a child on the sets, he has to be taken care of and fed all the time.

Comparisons with Ash are plenty. Your reaction?

I admire the way Ash has handled her career. It’s not been easy for her as she’s always faced a lot of criticism and speculation, which is absolutely unfair. I know what she is going through and what she could be feeling. At the same time she’s always dealt with it boldly and kept smiling through it. If I am compared to her, it’s truly a compliment to me.

The men have often labeled you a ‘heartbreaker’…

In India when relationships don’t work out, society ends up blacklisting a woman, and claim she is like ‘this’ or ‘that’. Why don’t they sit back and think that if she has stepped out of a relationship, there could be something not right with the man, too? Tell me, if I was happy in a past relationship, why would I step out of it?”

source:zoomtv.in

0 Comments: