MOVIE DUNIYA

Sep 11, 2008

Bollywood Actor IMRAN KHAN Interview




Part 1

He has made a swashbuckling entry into the ‘Hindi film industry’, as he likes to call it. From playing little Aamir in a host of films to becoming Bollywood’s latest pin-up boy, Imran Khan has matured a great deal overnight. Here’s an excerpt from a fascinating one-on-one Tarana had with the star in the making on Let’s Talk.

Tarana: I’m sure you hate being introduced as ‘cute’, ‘chocolate boy’ etc…
Imran: Yes. I get a little embarrassed. I blush a little bit when I’m fussed over like that.

Tarana: What would you like to be referred to as then?
Imran: A good actor.

Tarana: Why?
Imran: Because I will be able to take credit for that. It’s the sort of title one earns.

Tarana: You’re also an accidental actor.
Imran: Yes, I wanted to be a director.

Tarana: Why?
Imran: Because I didn’t think I would be able to become a typical ‘Hindi film hero’ ever.

Tarana: Are you the ‘hero’ in Kidnap, or the boy next door again?
Imran: I’m the hero. I’ve had to put on weight and workout to look bulky.

Tarana: What is your reaction to your first film’s success? People have wanted to watch it ever since the promos went on air, were you surprised by the overwhelming response?
Imran: I’m very surprised. It never felt like we were making a real film. It felt like we were a bunch of friends shooting a home video for fun. Now that the film has released in theatres worldwide and people are actually spending money to watch it and appreciating it, it’s all a little unbelievable.

Tarana: We’ve heard you haven’t received your paycheque yet?
Imran: Nope. Aamir Khan doesn’t pay!

Tarana: Is he a terrible producer?
Imran: Yes, he is.

Tarana: Abbas Tyrewala told us the only reason he chose Aamir as producer was because he was told to never consider the film as a launch vehicle for his nephew. Aamir apparently only wanted to finance a good film. Did you feel bad about that?
Imran: No, not at all. This is how our family is.

Tarana: Unhelpful?
Imran: No, very, very focussed on work. Aamir liked the film, so he picked it up as a producer. But he had to decide if Imran was the right choice.

Tarana: So you had to audition for the role?
Imran: Thrice. I auditioned twice for Abbas, and once when Aamir decided to produce the film.

Tarana: Do you remember what you were required to do at the audition?
Imran: For my first audition I had to do a scene from the film where I’m being interviewed by Aditi’s parents for marriage.

Tarana: Was there a dance audition?
Imran: No, there wasn’t. I’m not a good dancer. Thankfully, there was less choreographed dancing and more freestyle.

Tarana: So, like Pappu, you can’t dance either?
Imran: Abbas has not admitted yet, but I have a strong feeling Pappu’s character is based on me.

Tarana: When this song first aired, everybody said it was based on Salman Khan. Is there a connection?
Imran: None at all. The connection is actually with Aamir Mamu. There is a reference to the song ‘Papa Kehte Hain’ and the guy has been made to dress up like Mamu did in that song. The joke’s on Aamir Khan.

Tarana: But he’s (Aamir) a very serious guy, isn’t he?
Imran: He has a great sense of humour. Nobody seems to realise that.

Tarana: We’ve heard he even analyzes a joke and only laughs after about 10 minutes?
Imran: His humour is very unusual. He has his own style of straight-faced humour. You don’t even realise he’s cracked a joke when he does, the way he does it.

Tarana: Have you taken after him?
Imran: Yes. My humour is like that too.

Tarana: You’re an accidental actor but do you enjoy acting now?
Imran: I do. I’ve always enjoyed acting. The only reason I didn’t want to become an actor is I didn’t think I was right for the industry.

Tarana: Films have been in your blood, with your entire family being a part of the industry for so many years. You went off to study filmmaking as a director. Did you make any films of your own?
Imran: Yes, I’ve made lots of films.

Tarana: Were they good?
Imran: No. If you watch films made by student directors, you’ll notice a common theme. They’re always black and white and depressing. There are people sitting around in half light, smoking. All amateur directors make such films.

Tarana: Cut to Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na. The film was full of colours, people laughing and singing. Were you hesitant about a theme like that?
Imran: A little bit. I would wonder why everyone was so happy and wearing bright colours. There should be more depressing scenes.

Tarana: Apparently, Abbas and you go a long way?
Imran: Only in the context of this film. We didn’t know each other before we decided to work on Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na. That was three years ago. I had heard the project, liked it and decided I want to do the film. We started out with a different producer then, who passed away recently, but it didn’t work out. We were still on the lookout for producers when Aamir Mamu came into the picture.

Tarana: What made Aamir take up the film? You, Abbas or the film itself?
Imran: He said he wanted to hear the script. If he liked it, he would produce it. We were still looking for producers and hadn’t even thought of him. He suddenly popped up and said ‘You know, Imran, I’m a producer too’.

Tarana: Didn’t he ask for a part in the film?
Imran: None of the characters suited him. We’d suggest different characters to him, but he would keep putting it off as he didn’t like any of them. Finally, the film got made without him.



Part 2

Tarana: How much like Aamir are you?
Imran: I’m not like him at all.

Tarana: Why do people draw similarities then?
Imran: I guess our voices are similar. People say I sound a lot like Aamir. They compare our expressions too.

Tarana: Your mum is Aamir’s sister?
Imran: Yes.

Tarana: Is the entire family good-looking?
Imran: Yes. Except for Mansoor Mamu (glances nervously at the camera). But if you see him, even he has a lot of similar traits.

Tarana: The similarities must be intentional
Imran: Yes. We sit at the dinner table and practice our moves.

Tarana: Back to JTYJN. You zeroed in on Genelia D’souza after auditioning 200 girls?
Imran: 400.

Tarana: How is it possible to reject 400 girls?
Imran: Each girl would have a screen test. If it looked like they had any promise, they’d do a screen test opposite me.

Tarana: Is that how you met a few of them?
Imran: Yes. I did the casting myself.

Tarana: So what made you and Abbas go for Genelia?
Imran: Genelia was perfect for the role. Abbas had a very clear image in his head about Jai and Aditi’s characters. When he met me, he knew he’d found Jai. When he met Genelia, we knew we’d found Aditi.

Tarana: Apparently, Genelia can cry at the drop of a hat. So, you and Abbas would make her cry before every emotional scene?
Imran: Yes, she cries a lot. She’s a very emotional person. She cries if you say too many good things, she cries if you say one bad thing. We would use this against her before every emotional scene and the tears would start rolling.

Tarana: Any other fun memories of the shoot? When you’re watching the film, it seems like you guys had a lot of fun shooting it.
Imran: It wasn’t fun at all. It was a lot of hard work. We would shoot for very long hours at a stretch.

Tarana: Did it take three years of hard work?
Imran: Yes. A lot of pre and post production work took place in the three years. But the actual shoot was wrapped up in three months. There were no holidays at all, be it Christmas or someone’s birthday. We had to report to the shoot. In fact, we shot for the Pappu song on my birthday.

Tarana: Oh, did they cut a cake for you?
Imran: Yes, they did and sang for me, but only for two minutes. After that, it was back to work.



Part 3

Tarana: Are you and Harman friends?
Imran: No, we don’t know each other.

Tarana: Have you watched Love Story 2050?
Imran: No, but I definitely plan to. I’m a huge sci-fi fan. I have a collection of all the Star Wars DVDs.

Tarana: Have you ever thought of doing films down south?
Imran: No, I don’t know the language.

Tarana: I don’t think that’s a problem anymore. If Genelia came to you and said she’d use her contacts to get you a good offer in the south, would you do it?
Imran: I believe if you don’t know the language, you shouldn’t do a film. It’s a very false style of acting.

Tarana: When are your next two films releasing? Tell us about them.
Imran: There’s Kidnap, which releases on October 3, and there’s director Soham’s Luck.

Tarana: You agreed to do Luck, even after watching his earlier film, Kaal?
Imran: Yes, honestly, I didn’t like Kaal.

Tarana: Why did you sign Luck then?
Imran: I felt Soham has a lot of talent and is a very good director. He’s a young guy with a spark.

Tarana: Do you have the ‘spark’?
Imran: I do.

Tarana: Aamir doesn’t behave like a star even though he is one. Has he given you any advice?
Imran: Only one: Figure out everything yourself.

Tarana: Any acting advice? Has he ever said you shouldn’t be satisfied until you’ve given 40 to 50 takes?
Imran (laughs): Never, he’s always said acting is very personal. Every actor has his or her own style.

Tarana: I have a list of words for you. Tell us what comes to mind the minute I say, Bollywood.
Imran: I hate that word.

Tarana: Hindi film industry.
Imran: Emotion.

Tarana: Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na.
Imran: Fresh.

Tarana: Genelia
Imran: Chulbuli.

Tarana: Aamir Khan
Imran: Quality.

Tarana: Luck
Imran: Unusual.

Tarana: Filmmaking
Imran: Passion.

Tarana: ‘Pappu can’t dance’
Imran: Hilarious.

Tarana: Pappu
Imran: Me. Pappu is not anyone in particular. Pappu is a type of person. There are lots of well-built guys around who wear tight fitted T-shirts and fancy cologne, but are losers to an extent. They’re called Pappu.

Tarana: Am I a Pappu?
Imran: No.

Tarana: Love
Imran: Love, love, love….

Tarana: You’re supposed to say Avantika.
Imran: Am I? Okay, Avantika. Love as a concept is confusing. As a person, I’d say Avantika.

Tarana: Friendship
Imran: Life.

Tarana: It’s been fantastic talking to you. We hope you’ll be a bigger star the next time we talk.
Imran: Thank you so much.

source:.zoomtv

0 Comments: